Is Christianity dying in the US and Canada?

Monday, October 19, 2009

Traps and distractions for today's youth

I understand. It's an easy trap to fall into, I'm constantly struggling to avoid being caught in the web. As a 16-year-old, I can't help but look around at the distractions. Teens my age are throwing caution to the wind, and exchanging worthwhile activities for meaningless entertainment.

When you're not focused on the future, it's easy to lose a desire to find fulfillment in a job well done. It's a cliche I know, but successfully completing a tough job satisfies a thirst leisure fails to fill. Without a passion and concern for their future, my generation is heedlessly rushing towards disaster. God, family, and friends are what really bring fulfillment in life. Hard work brings lasting satisfaction and purpose in life, not an endless chase after more and better entertainment.

Video games are controlling our nation's youth. Unlike books, writing, art, and other activities, video and computer games have little or no value. You don't learn much except how to push buttons faster. If kids and teens continue to ignore the future and spend their lives on worthless video and computer games, our country is hurtling toward disaster.

Video games aren't the only menace distracting youth from improving their futures. Many movies and TV shows are completely meaningless, highlighting and encouraging fun but idle activities. Recreation is an important part of every kid's life. But too much time is spent on activities that fail to impact the future. More effort needs to be made by parents to get kids involved in positive projects that prepare teens to succeed and impact the real world.

Two excellent activities for many teens are reading and writing. I love to read, and I learn important lessons from books without even realizing. A vibrant vocabulary is also acquired from reading. Writing all styles and subjects is also a great teacher. I've been writing since I was 6 or 7 and now I'm able to make a little cash with Helium. Artistic exercises like writing grow the brain and enhance your ability to think and speak. I've also benefitted from running small businesses. My past ventures include making and selling hand-stamped greeting cards, mowing lawns, other miscellaneous yard work, stripping and recycling copper wire and other aluminum materials. The possibilities for a teen business are endless.

Sports are also a great way for kids and teens to have fun. Too many children and teens are obese due to a lack of exercise. I'm don't play organized sports, but I'm always in the mood for a game with my Dad, little brother and sisters, or a rousing basketball game. Vigorous exercise improves the health of children, teens, and adults.

Art, writing, business, and sports all impact a kid's future. Spend more time on activities with a purpose, and minimize time wasted playing video games or watching worthless TV.

Kids and teens: We are the future of our country. Start caring about life 10, 20, 50 and 100 years from now. Leave your mark on world, and make sure it's a good one.

No comments: